Greyfriars Kirk is excited to be celebrating its 400th anniversary in 2020. This special time will be marked by concerts, exhibitions, festivals and more centering around the themes of history, community and enlightenment.
- Concerts with Dunedin Consort, Scottish Ensemble, Edinburgh Royal Choral Union, Scottish Chamber Orchestra Chorus and Edinburgh University Musical Society. Also music from our own wonderful organist, choir and Greyfriars at 12 series.
- We are exploring a Festival of Science, Wisdom and Faith, to celebrate the Enlightenment legacy left by James Hutton and many others connected with the Kirk, which has been at the forefront of encouraging human scholarship and democratic intellect throughout its life. Talks, demos, music & more will explore how science and technology moderated by reverence and wonder help find the way toward a flourishing, sustainable future for us all.
- Special worship services throughout the year, with other opportunities for prayer and reflection on what this special year means for us, and what we leave for the future community that continues to worship, volunteer, and contribute to Kirk life here.
- Legacy ideas include a “statistical account” to explore and record the present parish; a time capsule for the Kirk’s family to open in 100 years, and an activity to involve visitors.
- Other events developing include a flower festival, walks and talks exploring our parish and commemorating the union of seventeen churches over the Kirk’s history, storytelling and a wide variety of artistic input, special film screenings, community meals, a big party (of course!) and more…
Interested in Getting Involved in the Celebrations?
Contact the Greyfriars 400 Co-Ordinator Gillian Couper at email@example.com.