Greyfriars Kirk occupies an important place within the history and culture of Edinburgh, and the history of Scotland. The National Covenant was signed here is 1638 – the graves of poet William McGonagall, chemist Joseph Black and philanthropist Mary Erskine (among many more) lie in the Kirkyard – and more recently, a certain Ms Rowling used to stroll the grounds in the mid 90’s, seeking inspiration for her tale of a put-upon boy wizard…
We love telling the stories of Greyfriars, and we love to welcome visitors to the Kirk. We are open from April to October 6 days a week and have recently begun to open on Thursdays in our winter season. Please see our opening times for more details, as we are occasionally closed for special services or private events.
We run a regular lunchtime concert series – Greyfriars at 12 – throughout the year, on Thursdays at 12.00 pm. The concerts feature internationally renowned performers, as well as local music students, and are free to attend – click here for more details.
We welcome anyone who wishes to attend one of our services.
The Kirk has recently been awarded a Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor due to the high number of positive reviews. Please click here to leave a review of your visit to the Kirk on TripAdvisor.