Between 1931 and 1938 (the tercentenary of the signing of the National Covenant), an ambitious programme of reconstruction followed; the two churches were united and Old and New Greyfriars became one congregation. The dividing wall between the two halves of the building was taken down, Old Greyfriars’ arcades were restored, and a ceiling of Californian redwood was built over the six bays of the original church. Much of the interior as you see it now dates from 1938. Several bosses were added to the ceiling, showing the St Andrew saltire and key dates in the kirk’s history.
At the west end of the Kirk stands the magnificent Peter Collins organ. Built in 1990 to replace a Hamilton organ sited in the north-west corner, the Colins organ contains nearly 3,400 pipes and has three manuals. The Latin motto inscribed on it comes from the last verse of Psalm 150 and translates as ‘Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord’.
At the same time as the installation of the organ, most of the pews were removed, providing a flexible space for a wide programme of concerts and other events, in addition to worship. Just as the Church of Scotland understands itself to be both reformed and reforming, so that idea is reflected in our building, which continues to be adapted to meet the needs and opportunities of our time.